Illinois Gender Marker Change

ID Gender Marker Change

Gender Designation Change Form

Illinois residents can change the gender marker on their IL state ID or Drivers License with a very simple form. This form requires only your signature; you do not need a notary and you do not need the help of a therapist or physician.

Take the signed Gender Designation Change Form to a DMV or Secretary of State Facility, along with your current state ID or Drivers License.

Fees: If gender designation is changed at renewal, there is no additional fee. If an applicant changes their gender at a time other than renewal, there is a $5 fee for a corrected driver’s license and a $10 fee for a corrected identification card.

Additional Information from the National Center for Transgender Equality

Illinois Drivers License Policy & Procedures

In August 2019 the governor signed HB 3534 mandating gender neutral "X" designations be added to all state forms. The Secretary of State has indicated that this option may not be available on driver's license until the year 2024.

Currently, M or F is available on an Illinois ID. To update the gender marker on an Illinois ID the applicant must sign a form attesting to their gender identity, with no medical signature or documentation required.

In order to correct the name and/or gender on an Illinois ID, an applicant must:

The Illinois Secretary of State's office addresses name and gender change here. Applicants must notify the Illinois Secretary of State of a legal name change within 10 days of the name change.

Birth Certificate Gender Change

This website from the Illinois Department of Public Health explains the process for changing the gender marker on an Illinois birth certificate. This process can be used by any person born in Illinois, regardless of what state they currently reside in.

Affidavit and Certificate of Correction Request
This one you fill out and sign in front of a notary.

Declaration of Gender Transition or Intersex Condition
This one is filled out by your *licensed* physician, advanced practice nurse, physician assistant, or “Licensed mental health professional”, "who is licensed or registered to provide mental health services".

Additional Information from the National Center for Transgender Equality

Illinois Birth Certificate Laws

As of January 1 2018, the Division of Vital Records will update the gender marker on an Illinois birth certificate upon receipt of a declaration by a licensed health care professional stating the person has undergone treatment that is clinically apprpriate for gender transition. See Public Act 100-0360.

To apply for an updated birth certificate, an applicant should submit:

Submit application to:

Illinois Department of Health
Division of Vital Records
925 E. Ridgely Avenue
Springfield, IL 62702-2737

If you have additional questions, you can reach the Illinois Department of Public Health, Division of Vital Records at 217-782-6553, Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. - 3 p.m. or via email to