Anything that needs to be changed can be changed by showing a certified copy of the judge-signed judgment (also known as an order) for legal name change. We have listed documents that may need to be changed based on lived experiences. Some of them, we have given specific instructions on how to get the documents and gender marker change.

Birth Certificate

Birth certificates are frequently used as a document to prove age and identity, so it is important your birth certificate reflects your name. You also need the birth certificate in order to get the "Real" ID. Everyone will need a real ID to vote in future elections and board planes. The birth certificate can be updated in person or by mail.

You will need:

  • Court order (also called the judgment) of approval of name change

  • Any pedigree information you know such as parents names and your city of birth OR a valid ID

  • Application for certified copy of birth record

Next, head into the Department of Vital Records and present your documentation while stating you need to make an amendment to your birth certificate due to a name change.

  • For Missouri birth records, you will have to mail your court order with an application for a copy of your birth certificate.

    • Missouri and STL: Everyone in the state of Missouri is entitled to a free birth record from any state for the purposes of getting their ID to vote. You get this once in your lifetime. For transparency and warning, it is reported to the Missouri State Department once used. To take advantage of this, you may email or call (573) 751-6387. You may also fill out their online form.

    • St. Louis City/County: If you cannot afford the $15 for the birth certificate copy, there are resources in St. Louis City that can help that process. This would not be reported to the Missouri State Department.

      • In that case, send your court order into the state. Thereafter, reach out to our team to get a voucher for St. Louis City's vital records.

Other Vital Records

Coming soon ... sorry for the delay. We are just starting up as a group.

Social Security Card

Updating your name on your Social Security Card is an important first step after your name change approval. The amended Social Security Card will be useful as a proof of age and secondary form of identification when working to update other aspects of your life.

You will need:

  • Court order stating the approval of your name change

  • Completed Form SS-5 found HERE

    • pg 5 is used to state your changed name as it should appear on the card in correlation with your SSN

    • Current ID or Passport

    • Birth Certificate (if you do not present a passport)

Some offices allow correction and replacement requests to be completed by mail or online while others will require you to bring documentation in person. Contact your local Social Security office which can be determined here.


  • Once you get your name (and not your gender marker) changed through the legal process, you can bring to the DMV your:

    • Court order

    • Ammended birth certificate

    • Social security card (if it is changed)

If you cannot afford the cost of the ID, there are resources to pay for ID's in St. Louis City and Missouri.

  • Everyone who can vote in the State of Missouri is entitled by law to One Free ID to Vote.

    • Eligibility to vote is often mistranslated. If you are not on probation or parole for a felony charge and you are not convicted of a VOTING felony (infiltrating an election), you are eligible to vote.

    • You do not need to vote to qualify for this program. You just need to be eligible.

  • If this does not work for you, you can email us and we can connect you to resources that can help you access payments for the ID.


Whether your passport is used for travel, identification, I-9 employment verification, or anything else, it is imperative that the passport reflects your name change. Important documents and steps are listed below.

If your passport was issued in the last year, you will need to complete, gather and mail the following documents:

  • Court order of name change approval

  • Form ds5504 (found here)

    • make sure you select the gender marker you are comfortable with as the marker you select will be printed on the passport no matter what is listed on supporting documentation such as birth certificates and state IDs.

  • A recent color photo graph that follows requirements found here

  • Most recent passport

Mail these documents through USPS to :

National Passport Processing Center

Post Office Box 90107

Philadelphia, PA 19190-0107

If your passport was issued more than one year ago, you will need to complete, gather and mail the following documents:

Mail these documents to:

National Passport Processing Center

PO Box 90155

Philadelphia, PA 19190-0155


Think of any website or documents you have marketed yourself and your skills

  • Your current employer

  • LinkedIn

  • Personal Resume

  • Unions and Professional Groups

  • Business Cards

Governmental Agencies

There are several governmental agencies that will need to be contacted to update your name to ensure you receive proper service.

  • Department of Motor Vehicles

    • Car title, boat title, and other property titles and documents

    • To obtain an update title from the Department of Motor Vehicles you must bring the following documents into any MO License Office:

      • current title

      • court order of name change approval

      • completed Form 108 (found here)

      • fee of $14.50

  • Voter Registration

  • Post Office

  • Department of Human Services

    • SNAP


Financial Agencies

Think of any places you have open accounts, loans, debts, or assets you will need to access.

  • Checking accounts, checks, and bank cards

  • Savings and money market accounts, CDs

  • Credit cards

  • Assets such as property titles, deeds, and trusts

  • Debts such as mortgages and loans

  • Investment accounts


There are many moving parts to owning, renting, or staying in a home, all of which are likely linked to your name.

  • Home/Property Deeds

  • Home Owner's Associations

  • Landlords/Leasing Agencies

  • Home/Rental Insurance

  • Utilities

    • Electricity, Trash Collection, Internet, etc

Medical Care

Any type of medical care and records that may be used in the future could reflect or be notified of your name change.

  • Doctors

  • Dentists

  • Insurance Providers

  • Therapists

  • Counselors

Personal Legal Documents

Think of end of life documents and other legal declarations.

  • Life Insurance

  • Extraneous Care Plans

  • Estate Planning Documents